Saturday, August 4, 2007

We see your every move, spammer

My logs tell me that the spamtrap topic is a favorite, and more likely than not somebody who read the announcement will also take a peek at the traplist itself. So while I'm slowly preparing a post about something else entirely (which what I feel is actually a lot more interesting), it can't hurt to fill you in on what I've been doing to keep track of spammer behavior.

It's a quiet life, at least by surface appearances. In between the steady stream of mainly confidential tasks handled at Datadok and the odd request to bsdly.net for services of one kind or the other, I focus on getting the book done, chapter by chapter.

The traplist is slowly expanding. The collection process itself is automated for all the tedious tasks. The "Unknown user" entries from my mail server logs as a source of traplist material almost dried up, so I started looking at the greylists directly.

After sampling my greylists at random intervals for a while, a short shell script now dumps the data to somewhere safe ten past every full hour, notes the number of grey entries and TRAPPED entries, and dumps the TRAPPED IP addresses to a file which is available to the world from the traplist page. The list is comfortably short at most times. I imagine somebody with beefier bandwidth or a more widely known domain would have more hosts trapped at any time.

The file with currently trapped hosts gets overwritten each time the script runs. There is an outside chance that the other generated data might be useful in future research, and storage is cheap these days, so I keep the data around.

Observing the greylists reveal some odd things, like a certain Taiwanese host which tried, on August 1st, 2007, to send roughly a thousand messages to one address in a domain elsewhere, using generated From: addresses at every host name and IP address in our local network. They probably thought they'd found an open relay. Spamd's "250 This is hurting you more than it is hurting me." probably did not register with them as an outright rejection, much like it fools a number of web available open relay detectors.

The conclusions still stand, though. They echo the conclusions from the malware paper (*): the spammers are working harder at sending their trash mainly because we are as close as does not matter to always correctly detecting and dealing with their junk traffic.

I keep wondering if even the few minutes' worth of work a day updating the traplist is worth it, since we are catching essentially all spam anyway. Then at intervals, one or more of the generated, made up addresses from the list actually turns up in my greylist dumps.

(*) Whenever the "The silent network" paper comes up in discussions, it looks like depending on who you are, it's either way too long or too short. At twenty-few pages it's too long for the attention span of the loudmouth self-appointed SMTP experts you may encounter on web forums and mailing lists, and too short (read: not a book) to carry much weight with a decision maker who will not read much more than the executive summary anyway. Making that article morph into a book is on my list of Things To Look Into Later If Time Allows And It Still Makes Sense Then.

If you're still there after reading all this: Click the ads already. Make somebody else pay for your entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments are moderated. On-topic messages will be liberated from the holding queue at semi-random (hopefully short) intervals.

I invite comment on all aspects of the material I publish and I read all submitted comments. I occasionally respond in comments, but please do not assume that your comment will compel me to produce a public or immediate response.

Please note that comments consisting of only a single word or only a URL with no indication why that link is useful in the context will be immediately recycled so those poor electrons get another shot at a meaningful existence.

If your suggestions are useful enough to make me write on a specific topic, I will do my best to give credit where credit is due.