Wednesday, August 1, 2007

On the business end of a blacklist. Oh the hilarity.

I had planned to write about something else for my next blog entry, but life came back and bit me with another spam related episode. Next time, I promise, I'll do something interesting.

In the meantime, I've discovered that a) very few people actually use SPF to reject mail b) the SPF syntax looks simple, but is hard to get right, and c) there are still blacklists which routinely block whole /24 nets.

This morning I got a message from somebody I met at BSDCan in May, asking me to do something LinkedIn-related. Naturally, since I felt I needed some more details to do what this person wanted, I sent a short email message. That message got rejected,

SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM: SIZE=2240:
host mailstore1.secureserver.net [64.202.166.11]:
554 refused mailfrom because of SPF policy

which means that the SPF record

datadok.no. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:194.54.103.54/26
ip4:194.54.107.16/29 -all"

does not do what you think it does. Mail sent from 194.54.103.66 was not let through.

OK, the checking tool at the OpenSPF site seem to agree with secureserver.net, and I seriously can not blame them for the choice to trust SPF absolutely.

At the moment it seems my listing each host name is what does the trick. Weird. Anyway, next up in my attempt to communicate with my overseas friend, I tried sending a message from bsdly.net instead. That bounced too, but for a slightly different reason:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO::
host smtp.where.secureserver.net [64.202.166.12]:
553 Dynamic pool 194.54.107.142.

If you look up the data for bsdly.net, you will find that valid mail from there gets sent mainly from 194.54.107.19, which is in the tiny /29 our ISP set aside for my home net when I told them I wanted a fixed IP address.

I'm not sure if the rest of the "ip=194.54.107.*" network is actually a pool of dynamically allocated addresses these days, but I do know is that 194.54.107.16/29 has not been dynamically allocated for quite a number of years.

Going to the URL gave me this picture:



This really gives me no useful information at all. Except, of course, that at secureserver.net they think that putting entire /24 nets on their blacklist is useful. Some of us tend to disagree with that notion.

Anyway, I filled in the form with a terse but hopefully polite message, and clicked Submit.

I was rewarded with this message:



If I read this correctly, they think mail from 194.54.107.19 is spam because BGNett or MTULink have not set up reverse lookup for 194.54.107.142. OR because they think the entire /24 is dynamically allocated. OR somebody in that subnet may have sent spam at one time. I can only guess at the real reason, and repeat over and over that blocking entire subnets will give you a generous helping of false positives.

Nevermind that, the SPF record which made my mail from datadok.no go through to my overseas friend included a:hostname.domain.tld for all allowed senders.

And in other news, the PF tutorial saw its visitor number 15000 since EuroBSDCon 2006 on Saturday, last count is 15220.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments are moderated. On-topic messages will be liberated from the holding queue at semi-random (hopefully short) intervals.

I invite comment on all aspects of the material I publish and I read all submitted comments. I occasionally respond in comments, but please do not assume that your comment will compel me to produce a public or immediate response.

Please note that comments consisting of only a single word or only a URL with no indication why that link is useful in the context will be immediately recycled so those poor electrons get another shot at a meaningful existence.

If your suggestions are useful enough to make me write on a specific topic, I will do my best to give credit where credit is due.